The CEO of Burgertory has gone into hiding after one of his restaurants was firebombed before protests erupted outside.
Hash Tayeh, who founded Burgertory in 2018, has moved his family to a safe house after he exploded into the news when he was filmed leading a pro-Palestine march in Melbourne’s CBD three weeks ago.
After the burger boss defended and doubled down on his stance his Caulfield restaurant was attacked by arsonists before 400 people protested down the street.
Mr Tayeh had previously asked people not to join the protest and had said that he feared for the safety of his workers who had already been threatened with violence.
Now he has launched a GoFundMe to help rebuild the destroyed Burgertory which has inflamed the issue again and attracted horrific comments online.
Hash Tayeh (pictured) has gone into hiding after his Burgertory store in Caulfield, Melbourne, was attacked by arsonists on November 10
Mr Tayeh has since launched a GoFundMe to try and raise the funds to rebuild his store (pictured after fire)
READ MORE: Hash Tayeh’s open letter to the Jewish community
A high-profile founder of a gourmet burger chain has been forced to publish an open letter to Melbourne’s Jewish community explaining why he was filmed leading anti-Israel chants at a protest – but stopped short of apologising.
Mr Tayeh appeared on ABC’s Q&A before going into hiding where he explained to the panelists that he has become a martyr who now faces abuse daily.
‘I practiced my right to protest the genocide that is happening is Gaza, the media was weaponised against me and other pro-Palestinian protestors for standing up to injustice,’ he said.
‘How can we protect people standing up for injustices without the threat of being cancelled or defamed?’
Mr Tayeh, who has Palestinian heritage, claimed that his staff had been told that they work for a terrorist and that he had been called a pig in the streets.
‘I was told that I would be made a shaheed dog, which in translation means “you’ll be made a martyr of”, so someone’s threatened to kill me,’ he said.
Despite the abuse he has faced, Mr Tayah has continued to persistently push his pro-Palestine stance and appeared as a speaker at a rally on Saturday in Melbourne.
Draped in a Palestinian flag he promised not to be silenced or intimidated by the media or people on the street.
‘In the past weeks as I advocated for peace … my own establishment became a target,’ he told a crowd of thousands at the State Library.
‘The other day, in a cruel act of arson, our store was reduced to ashes. To those who sought to silence us with hate and violence I say: you will not succeed.’
Mr Tayeh has blamed ‘zionists’ for burning his store down and his GoFundMe says that the arson attack was a hate crime which left his store ‘unrecognisable’.
Thus far the campaign has raised more than $53,000 of it’s $300,000 goal, which will go towards rebuilding the Burgertory and providing staff support payments.
The burger boss has doubled down on his pro-Palestine messaging since the attack however, appearing at a protest again on Sunday where he vowed to not back down
Footage surfaced on Sunday showing two hooded figures setting Caulfield’s Burgertory alight at 4am on November 10
DISCLAIMER:- Denial of responsibility! angelcrestgardens.com is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email at email@example.com The content will be deleted within 24 hours.